Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Blog Picture

While creating this new blog, I pondered about what my very first post could be. I desired to post something that's captivatingly interesting and that relates to the theme of this blog. I also wanted readers to get an idea of the type of fascinating genealogical discoveries, lessons, and happenings that will be posted to this blog. Then, I said to myself, "Why not tell the story of how you got this great blog photograph?" As usual, I agreed with myself. LOL  Indeed, the story involves an amazing discovery. 

If you read my first book, Mississippi to Africa: A Journey of Discovery, then you are already aware of how my great-great-grandmother's widow pension file from the National Archives amazingly revealed a lot about her and my great-great-grandfather's history. A whole lot!  My great-great-grandfather, Edward "Ed" Danner, fought with Company I of the 59th Regiment of the United States Colored Troops (USCT).  He was one of the 209,145 brave African-American soldiers who bravely fought in the Civil War for the freedom of enslaved African Americans.  At the age of 44, Grandpa Ed died on September 15, 1876 near Como, Mississippi; twenty-two years later in 1898, my great-great-grandmother, Louisa "Lue" Bobo Danner, began the long and stressful process of applying for a widow's pension from the federal government.  As part of the application process, she had to give a sworn testimony, as well as obtain sworn depositions from family members and friends proving that she was Grandpa Ed Danner's widow.

 Louisa "Lue" Bobo Danner
1842 - 1921

The eleven depositions in her pension file were essentially a history book steeped with oral history on just my family - a genealogical and historical goldmine! In her deposition, Grandma Lue revealed the following about Grandpa Ed, solving a longtime mystery of why he had chosen the Danner surname rather than the surname of their last enslaver, Dr. William J. Bobo: "...the first year after the War, my husband took the name of Danner, as he formerly belonged to the Danners in South Carolina and was bought by Dr. Bobo from the Danner estate..." Grandpa Ed's military service record also revealed that he was born in Union County, South Carolina.  Dr. William Bobo had purchased him and transported him back to Panola County, Mississippi shortly before 1860.

With that wealth of information, Grandpa Ed's previous enslaver was identified. His name was Thomas G. Danner, Jr., who had died in Union County, South Carolina in 1855. His wife, Alice Bates Danner, and their children remained in South Carolina for four more years, and they then moved to Saline County, Arkansas in 1859.  As revealed by the 1860 Saline County Slave Schedule, Alice and her children only transported eight slaves with them to Arkansas, and the 1870 and 1880 Grant County, Arkansas censuses revealed that those eight enslaved human beings had been a lady named Harriet Danner (born c. 1825) and her seven children.  The rest of the slaves from Thomas Danner's estate - including Grandpa Ed himself, his parents, and his siblings - were sold. Apparently, Alice and her sons probably needed money to buy land in Arkansas.

Not long after making this discovery, I received an e-mail from Alyce Petty of Jackson, Tennessee. (Yes, her name was Alice, too, but spelled differently!) She disclosed that she was a descendant of Harriet Danner!  She saw the Danner name that I had posted in the surname database on AfriGeneas.com.  Since the Danner name was not that common, she wondered if somehow we were connected. Indeed, we were! I eagerly shared with Alyce how I had determined that her great-great-grandmother Harriet and her seven children were the only slaves that the Danners of Union County, South Carolina had taken with them to Arkansas. I answered questions Alyce had for a long time -- how and when did her Danners get to Arkansas and where in South Carolina did they come from?  Alyce was thrilled, as we instantly felt that Harriet and Edward may have been siblings, since the Danners had owned few slaves - eighteen slaves in 1850 to be exact, according to the 1850 Union County, South Carolina Slave Schedule.  

Claiming each other as kin, Alyce and I bonded immediately, and she has visited me twice. The first visit was in 1998 in Memphis, Tennessee, where I resided at the time.  The second visit was in 2010, when she and her husband came to Atlanta for a conference. On this visit, she pulled out this amazing photograph. I was instantly intrigued by it. Who wouldn't be? I had never seen a photograph like that before! Alyce informed me that the picture was given to her by one of her relatives who wasn't able to positively identify the people in it, but they strongly believe that they are members of the Danner and Owens Family of Prattsville, Arkansas - direct descendants of Harriet Danner.  I promised Alyce that I would help her find out exactly who the people are, so I truly hope that someone will find this blog, recognize the picture, and contact me immediately.  That's the story of how I received this amazing photograph!




22 comments:

  1. I loved how you drew me into your story! This is an awesome and very unique photo. I hope that you discover the identities of the members in your photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can completely relate to you on the topic of Civil War Pension files and how they can be the source of so much genealogical evidence. Had a similar experience when I received my 2nd great grand uncle's civil war pension file. Great post! Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melvin,

    You must call me immediately! I am on the phone with folks in Little Rock with ties to the Danners of Prattsville!!!!
    (See the joys of blogging?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to you Melvin.
    You're off to a glorious start with your blog.

    I'm intrigued by the menfolk who made a point of displaying their bible, guitar, rifle, and cane. There must be some clues to their identities. Good luck!

    Peace & Blessings,
    "Guided by the Ancestors"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just read cut'n Angela's post after reading this your first post, what a blessin u are to other's.will let other's know about your blog. Beverly A Harper
    P.S. Yep, following u everywhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad that you started this blog. I was thinking of doing one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melvin, I love your blog! What a great first post. I'm totally intrigued by the photo. Can't wait to find out the story behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. An amazing picture, indeed! I can't wait to find out what you'll learn about it. Sounds like Angela's got you set up for a lead, already!

    Renate

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photo and blog post! Waiting to learn who they are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good job Melvin. You have inspired so many people, you have no limits. I'm looking forward to the next blog. Happy digging.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aren't pension files wonderful! Brilliant post - I am really looking forward to your next one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone for checking out my new blog. Much more is forthcoming. Stay tuned for the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your fantastic first post. I can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great blog post! Welcome to the GeneaBlogger family!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, great blog. I am sending the url to my groups at Tennessee Genealogical Society. I know they will be excited to read your posts and learn from them. (Not too much pressure, heh?) Also, can't wait for that next book to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another great story! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is one of the most interesting photos I have ever seen! Congratulations on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just looking at your photographs again and struck by such a large group of proud and determined people. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I read your background, and now I am faithful that my children who are majoring in the sciences may one day have interest in the family history work I am so passionate about. Enjoyed your blog post as well. Let's keep making your point about pension files.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Marvelous Blog.I have found some important information in your post. Self Book Publishing Tips.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was looking for the best place to comment on that wonderful photograph when I noticed it has its own tab.
    I hope you find out at least some of the names of these people. It must have been a special day when that photo was taken.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Melvin,
    I have enjoyed reading your story. I have never responded to a blog. Really did not know what it was. The picture of the family in the best attire is priceless. I have a similar photo that was found in an old box in an old shed when my mother's father died. We only saw him twice in 92 years. We knew that his mother had several sets of twins. We said two sets on the photo, but had no idea of their names.I suggest to began with the youngest on the photo. Zoom in on their faces and see if they resemble any ancestors that you have photos of. Also keep in mind that the shade of the skin color was not necessarily black. It looks that way on the old black and white photos.
    Your ancestors are so proud of you. You are doing an outstanding job.
    Gennie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting on Roots Revealed!